Alpharetta and Woodstock Attorneys for Grandparent Custody

According to the 2010 census, 7% of children are being raised with grandparents or great-grandparents; that number more than doubling over the past 40 years. When Georgia courts consider granting child custody to grandparents, they perform a test to consider the best interests of the child. The best interests test consists of factors such as the physical and emotional health of the child and his or her safety and welfare.

Oftentimes circumstances such as alcohol and drug abuse and mental health problems make parents unfit for raising their children. Other circumstances that constitute an unfit parent are depriving child of shelter or life’s necessities and other forms of child abuse. These circumstances call for a stable, caring adult to intervene on behalf of the child.

Many times, grandparents seek the assistance of the Juvenile court or the Division of Family and Children’s Services (DFCS). While this can be helpful in emergency situations, these are only temporary measures. The Juvenile Court can only award temporary custody for a maximum of two years. And by bringing DFCS into your case, you are actually giving custody of your grandchild to the state of Georgia!

Years ago, when it came to visitation or child custody, grandparents had very little legal rights. However, this is becoming more and more necessary in many cases, and laws have certainly changed. More and more grandparents are taking on more of an active role in the lives of their grandchildren, particularly in situations where parents are unable to fulfill their parental duties. Typically, the grandparents are the next link in the family chain, and in difficult situations, it may be more ideal for grandparents to get child custody rather than children going to foster homes. A consultation with a child custody attorney would provide you with the possible legal options and advise you accordingly. At the very least, you can determine your eligibility for visitation.

Consult with a Woodstock or Alpharetta Child Custody Attorney

The attorneys at North Metro Litigators can assist grandparents in bringing court action to best protect your grandchildren. For assistance in your legal action for grandparent custody, call 678-888-0198 (Woodstock) or 770-517-0045 (Alpharettaa) to contact North Metro Litigators today.