You have probably been on a job interview before. The person interviewing you is considering you for an important job. They want to know about your experience and qualifications. They will want to get a sense of your skills and how you approach your work. They need to know whether you will be responsive and hard-working, and they may want to hear from references who can confirm your qualities. At the end of the interview, you will want them to be confident that they can trust you with the very serious responsibilities involved in the position.
If you are considering hiring an Alpharetta car accident attorney to help you obtain compensation for injuries and other losses, you will be conducting one of the most important job interviews of your life. You are hiring a lawyer to work for you. You want to get this right, because your choice of car accident attorney will play a huge role in determining whether you get the help and resources you need and deserve or are left with little to show from the relationship.
As any prospective employer would, you should meet with several qualified candidates before making a decision. Do research in advance about their education, reputation, and practice experience.
At your meeting, as at an interview, you will be trying to get a sense of the person and determine whether you are comfortable with them. Pay attention to how they act and whether they seem concerned and patient or rushed and disinterested.
Then, ask your job interview questions:
- How long have you been practicing law? How long here in Alpharetta?: Both of these questions are important, as you will want to ensure that you work with a seasoned attorney who has ties to the area in which your incident occurred. If the attorney is from a different state or even another city within the state, he or she may not be as familiar with the local area courts and judges who will be handling the case.
- How much of your practice is committed to personal injury law? What percentage of your practice involves car accident cases?: It is crucial to hire an attorney who practices in the relevant area of law that pertains to your situation. It would not be advisable to hire an attorney who only practices corporate law or estate planning to handle your injury case. Even if that attorney or firm has handled such cases in the past, it is always better to choose a firm and attorney with extensive knowledge and practice experience in that area of law.
- How many case like mine have you handled? What were the outcomes of those cases?: While it is not uncommon to get referrals from others, especially when it comes to dealing with accidents, you should still do some research into the success rate of that particular attorney. If the attorney only handles personal injury cases, that is great. However, if the attorney’s success rate is low, you should know that in advance in order to make an educated decision.
- How many car accident jury trials have you handled? What were the results?: It’s no secret that many personal injury cases are often resolved before going to trial. That said, there are attorneys who practice personal injury law, yet they have never been to trial. Be sure to make this inquiry just in case you have to take your case before a jury.
- Will you be handling my case personally or will you be handing it off to another lawyer in your office?: Depending on the size of the firm, you might or might not actually deal with the attorney whose name is on the door. You should know this in advance so that your expectations are aligned with the reality of the situation from the start.
- If I have a question or need to speak with you, how and when can I reach you?: No doubt about it: attorneys are very busy people, particularly those who handle personal injury cases. Still, you should be able to reach your attorney within a reasonable amount of time.
- Are there any former clients I can speak to about their experiences?: Speaking with actual former clients when possible should prove to be quite helpful in your search for an appropriate attorney and firm. Most people are willing to share when they’ve had a great experience with an individual and/or firm, and just as many are willing to tell the world when they have had a horrible experience.
- How often will you provide me updates about the status of my case?: A skilled and personable Alpharetta car accident attorney will always keep you, the client, “in the loop” when it comes to the status of your case. He or she may not be available for daily or even weekly updates; however, the attorney should be able to let you know how often you can expect to hear from him regarding your case.
- If I lose my case, will I owe you any attorney’s fees or costs?: This is imperative information you should receive upfront from your attorney. Many work on a “contingency basis” and will say “you owe us nothing if we don’t win.” However, to be sure, any discussion of costs should be had early on in your discussions.
- If I win my case, how much will I owe you in fees and costs?: Again, this conversation should be discussed early during your interaction with the attorney. There are “typical” percentages when it comes to the fees and costs associated with most personal injury cases, but you should speak directly with whomever you choose to get a full understanding of the fees and costs for which you’ll be responsible.
The answers to these questions and how you feel when you leave an attorney’s office will go a long way towards helping you make the best choice for your Alpharetta car accident case.
Speak With an Alpharetta Car Accident Attorney at North Metro Litigators Today